Download the Linux From Scratch Book
Several versions of the LFS book are available for download, in several formats:
This is the latest released LFS book, well tested and mature enough for everyday use.
You may download the stable book in various formats from the stable book directory.
This is the LFS Book in its current development state. Changes can
happen that break the build temporarily.
Not recommended for inexperienced LFS'ers.
Daily rendered snapshots may be downloaded. Or check out the book's XML source from our Subversion repository and render it yourself:
svn co svn://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/LFS/trunk/BOOK/
Other versions of the source may be similarly downloaded by changing the URL above. For example, use svn://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/LFS/tags/7.0/ for 7.0 version of the book's XML source.
Old and crusty. But still useful as an educational experience, or to see how LFS has grown over the years. http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs-museum/
LFS has a list of packages and patches which you should download. Please use the versions which are listed in the book (see the FAQ); these are tested versions which are known to work with each other. There are several ways to download the packages.
Hunt and Peck/Freshmeat.net
When a package is not available from the location listed in the book, some other places to try are:
- A search for the full package name in google or your favorite search engine
- Debian Package Search Page
- Sources from your linux distro
LFS HTTP/FTP Sites
If the above methods are not available to you, the packages are also available in a tarball and individually on the following ftp and http mirrors. HLFS package tarballs and individual packages are also available on these mirrors.
- ftp://ftp.lfs-matrix.net/pub/lfs/ (Los Angeles, CA, USA, 200Mbps)
- http://ftp.lfs-matrix.net/pub/lfs/ (Los Angeles, CA, USA, 200Mbps)
- ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/lfs/ (Corvallis, OR, USA, 100Mbps)
- http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/lfs/ (Corvallis, OR, USA, 100Mbps)
- http://tmuniz.com/pub/lfs/ (Dallas, TX, USA, 100Mbps)
- ftp://mirrors.linsrv.net/LFS/ (Roubaix, France, 10Mbps)