"ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready"

Michael listen at freigeister.org
Tue Nov 17 11:40:05 PST 2009

Am Dienstag 17 November 2009 18:49:26 schrieben Sie:

Hello!

> Many thanks to all the replyers!
>
> I'd like to fix that "being late" of the network card/driver instead of
> doing some workarounds if somehow possible.

There is no fix. Some cards are affected others are not. My best guess it is a
firmware bug.

My card is affected:

00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82566MM Gigabit Network
Connection

> If there is no "fix" then it would be great if there would be a way to
> wait until the link becomes ready before continue starting other network
> services which would probably fail.

If you know that the card is ready after say 3 seconds then simply do a sleep
3 at the end of the network start section of /etc/rc.d/init.d/network.

If the time is not always the same, to me it is. Then write a script with an
endless loop and check with ethtool if the link is up and if it is continue
the boot. You can place this script at the end of the start section from
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network. Or ... There are many more solutions.

> Do you see such a message on your PC?  Or is it a e1000e-driver specific
> thing and therefore only for a few people?
>
> > Btw, the e1000e driver is used for the "02:00.0 Ethernet controller:
> > Intel Corporation 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller" in my Thinkpad
> > (T60).
>
> And kernel 2.6.31.5 and .6
>
> --
> Thomas

Greetings Michael

ps. #lfs-de  irc.linuxfromscratch.org
--
"Die Freiheit ist immer die Freiheit des Andersdenkenden."
                                                Rosa Luxemburg

Duisburger Linux User Group
Fellow der Free Software Foundation Europe

  /"\        ASCII Ribbon Campaign
  \ /        No HTML/RTF in email
   x         No Word docs in email
  / \        Respect for open standards